ECONOMIC AND STRATEGIC RESEARCH – Research Economist
1100 15th St NW, Washington, DC
At Fannie Mae, futures are made. The inspiring work we do makes an affordable home a reality and a difference in the lives of Americans. Every day offers compelling opportunities to impact the future of the housing industry while being part of an inclusive team thriving in an energizing environment. Here, you will help lead our industry forward and make your career.
As a valued colleague on our Economic Strategic Research (ESR) group, you will contribute to collecting and analyzing market, government, and business data in conjunction with monitoring and interpreting economic trends. In this role, you will assist with forecasting economic (and other) variables relevant to the Company, market participants, and policy makers. You will conduct research to understand borrower, lender, investor, and/or other behaviors, as well as present findings and recommendations through reports, research papers, and presentations to advise internal and external business partners, policy makers, or other audiences.
THE IMPACT YOU WILL MAKE
The Research Economist role will offer you the flexibility to make each day your own, while working alongside people who care so that you can deliver on the following responsibilities:
- Contribute to the team's research efforts, using public and company data to inform and quantify the impact of proposed or implemented policy changes. Conduct research to understand prior market, social, or other developments relevant to internal or external stakeholders using statistical and other recognized methods. Current projects focus on mortgages, housing affordability, green housing and mortgage products, climate change, and demographics.
- Apply research best practices to the development and ongoing improvement of forecasts, indices, and surveys, including the evaluation of Fannie Mae's products and policies. Responsibilities may also involve operationalizing statistical tools and models to provide analysis for downstream users (e.g. home price forecasts or indices, or survey results).
- Ensure the team is up to date on economic, market, and regulatory developments along with relevant academic and practitioner research through conducting literature reviews and attending academic and industry conferences.
- Translate findings for non-technical audiences, such as industry partners, business customers, or the media.
- In addition to working on real-world problems in a business setting, ESR economists have the opportunity to conduct independent research, collaborate with outside academic partners, and develop papers targeted for publication and presentation at conferences. Such activities are encouraged and supported.
THE EXPERIENCE YOU BRING TO THE TEAM
Minimum Required Experiences
- 2 years of related experience, including academic research.
- An advanced degree in economics or a related field is required.
- Expertise in using statistical methods and econometric techniques.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with data, including working with large datasets, interpret statistical findings, and draw conclusions related to research questions and the broader literature.
- Ability to work with people with different functional expertise respectfully and cooperatively towards a common goal.
- Skilled in Excel and Stata or SAS.
- The ideal candidate will have experience working with large datasets and with mortgage-related data.
- PhD economics or a related field is preferred.
- Research experience in areas such as climate, demography, urban policy, housing or real estate economics.
- Experience using R.
The future is what you make it to be. Discover compelling opportunities at Fanniemae.com/careers.
Fannie Mae is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, personal appearance, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation in the application process, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job ID: REF6485B
If you are interested in this role, please apply online at: https://smrtr.io/68nMG
Applications will be reviewed as they are received, with the intended position start date in the fall of 2021.